Neymar to undergo Paris Saint-Germain medical this week as Barcelona star jets off to Qatar to meet with club president
NEYMAR is due to undergo a medical at Paris Saint-Germain this week, according to reports.
The Barcelona star is said to have agreed personal terms with the French giants ahead of a stunning £196MILLION transfer.
Neymar did not return from Miami with the rest of the Barca squad following their pre-season fixtures.
He is due in China for a sponsorship tour, and will afterwards stop off in Qatar to meet with PSG president Nasser Al-Khelaifi.
Qatari newspaper Al Watan reports the 25-year-old will travel to the country’s Aspetar medical centre for scans in the coming days.
Qatar Sports Investment – the group which owns PSG – are reportedly offering the Brazilian £270m in a move which would see him pay his OWN transfer fee.
Spanish press say the figure is being presented as his payment to be an ambassador for the 2022 World Cup in Qatar.
But it is claimed the money could be used to pay his own release clause and force a move to Ligue 1.
This would allow PSG to bypass Uefa’s Financial Fair Play rules as it would technically be cash from the Brazilian’s pocket.
Should Neymar agree to the deal, it would be structured in five £54m payments a year until 2022.
Neymar: Who is the Brazilian star?
- Born on February 5, 1992 in Mogi das Cruzes, Sao Paulo
- Joined local side Portugesa Santista as a seven-year-old, before moving to Santos at 11
- Made his senior debut for Santos at just 17, scoring 14 goals in total his first season
- At age 18 he led Santos to the Brazilian title and came third in the South American Footballer of the Year award
- Won man of the match in the 2011 Copa Libertadores final, as Santos beat Penarol – it was the Brazilian club’s first time winning the competition since Pele was playing 1963
- Eventually left Santos in 2013 after winning three Brazilian titles and scoring 136 goals in 225 matches – all before 21
- Moved to Barcelona in 2013, with Barca president Josep Bartomeu charged with tax fraud after it was revealed he had paid the star’s parents €40million
- iIn five years at the club has helped Barcelona win two La Liga titles, the Copa del Rey three times, the Club World Cup and the Champions League in 2015
- Has scored 105 goals in 186 matches for Barca, adding 59 assists in that time
- Fast-tracked into the Brazil national team at just 18, he already has 52 goals in 77 caps – fourth on the all-time list.
- Has been the Selecao’s permanent captain since 2015
The former Santos forward has been subject to a stunning transfer saga this summer which would smash the world record fee paid for a player.
Neymar’s dad reportedly asked PSG to delay any deal until after today so he can earn a staggering £23m in agent fees.
If Neymar is still a Barcelona player on August 1, the Catalans have to pay Neymar Snr the sum as commission in his part of the contract his son signed last summer.
Speculation the Samba star is definitely off only grew after the Miami El Clasico on Saturday.
Neymar spent 15 minutes in Real Madrid’s dressing room and said his final farewells to his old rivals before leaving La Liga.